Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Eyes...The Eyes.

     I was with my family at a popular Western North Carolina spot and I noticed a man who looked extremely familiar but surely, it couldn't be...

     His eyes...they gave it away more than anything else.  I whispered to my wife..."That isn't who I think it is, is it?  He looks like..."

     My wife turned around and said, "It's gotta be him.  I'm going to ask him..."

     And it turned out to be Stephen Baldwin.  I was amazed.  He immediately jumped up from a private conversation and came over to greet us.  He complimented my children, saying they are cute, shook our hands, and accommodated me in my request for a photo with him.  He was most pleasant, which is what struck me the most about this encounter, since so many Hollywood types are annoyed when they are approached in public and have an overall "God Complex."  There was something so genuine about him, he was soft-spoken, kind, and gentle.  As he held our baby, he commented on how heavy he is, then after the photograph, as I explained to my little one that he was a great actor, who was in movies and on television, he mentioned to my little boy that he was in a Flintstones movie and said to him, "Ah, now I have your attention...!"

     He told us about a few videos he has made that might interest our oldest son, and after a few minutes, I thanked him for his time and he returned to his friend who was waiting patiently at the table.

     I had never doubted that he is a great actor, now I know that more importantly, he is a great man.  Much kudos to him for standing up for his beliefs and faith amidst what some might consider a hostile environment where those who disagree with him are not always kind when offering their dissenting opinion.

     I admire that in a person.